Re: Diablo's Modest/Email

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 9:41 AM, Alberto Garcia <agarcia@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thursday 11/09/2008 09:30, Mark said...

>> > How can I have multiple e-mail folders with POP3 ?
>>
>> Use Procmail to filter and direct messages to different mail files
>> (folders).
>
> You mean in the mail server? And how can I switch between folders
> using the POP3 protocol? How can I create/delete folders?
>
> --
> Alberto García González
> http://people.igalia.com/berto/

I don't want to do a complete tutorial. If you learn to use Procmail,
you'll see the answers. Google it, there are plenty of resources for
learning about it. Procmail runs on the machine where your mailboxes
are located. Folders can be created/deleted by the local email client
(such as Pine), or at the command line. Procmail can probably do it,
but since Procmail is all about automation, that's probably unwise and
inefficient. There may be issues with the remote email client
retrieving messages in anything other than the default inbox, though.
That could be solved with some work with the setup, but the whole
concept of serve-side email folder and file management seems like it's
contrary to one's best interests.

If you really want the features of IMAP on a POP3 system, just use a
Web-based email client such as OpenWebMail
(http://openwebmail.org/openwebmail/) if it's on your own server, or
you can use an existing Web email account (such as Gmail) to access
your other account(s). You could even set up a new separate Webmail
account specifically for that purpose, and not even actually use the
new account.

...once again proving that it's the client, not the protocol, that matters...

Mark