Re: Diablo's Modest/Email

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 9:16 AM, Alberto Garcia <agarcia@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 09:13:40AM -0600, Mark wrote:
>
>> ...all of which can just as easily be done with POP3.
>
> How can I have multiple e-mail folders with POP3 ?
>
> --
> Alberto García González
> http://people.igalia.com/berto/

Use Procmail to filter and direct messages to different mail files
(folders). I can't speak for other POP3 Unix clients, but Pine has no
problem whatsoever dealing with multiple mailboxes. Once again, the
protocol is pretty much irrelevant - it's only the transport agent.
It's what happens to the message after it's been received by the
recipient's server that matters, and that depends solely on the server
software, not the protocol. Once you have the files on your server,
you can do pretty much anything you want to do with them.

The problem here is that the proponents of IMAP are far more ignorant
about POP3 (and email processes in general) than they claim I am about
IMAP.

Mark