Re: Diablo's Modest/Email

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 6:56 PM, Tuukka Tolvanen
<tuukka.tolvanen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Mark wrote:
>
>> You are so incredibly wrong. My point was that yes, an ARM system is
>
>> ultimately, IMAP 1) ALWAYS uses more storage than POP3, and 2)
>
> Heh.
>
> 't.

That's more than a little cryptic, but I have to assume that once
again you're deliberately comparing apples to oranges. Here's a couple
of facts for you:

1) We're talking about _servers_ here. The fundamental point of IMAP
is to store all the mail on the servers, so that alone is enough to
validate my point. However, IMAP adds the overhead of file and folder
management, so given identical messages, yes, IMAP takes more space.
If you want to talk compression, that can be implemented every bit as
easily with POP3 as with IMAP.

2) If you want to talk about the client side, then yes, IMAP takes
less storage space, as long as you use it as a true IMAP system.
However, once you start downloading messages to your local machine,
you are squarely in the domain of POP3 and have no advantage over it.
And if you _are_ using it in true IMAP mode, you are ultimately using
_more_ network bandwidth, not less.

If you want file and folder management, Procmail can easily do that
with POP3, and there are plenty of other apps and utilities to get any
IMAP-like functionality you think you need.

IMAP has one, and only one, "advantage" over POP3, and that's the
bandwidth savings in the scenario where you are only downloading
headers rather than entire messages. However, that only appears to be
an advantage if you consider it out of context. The context is that
sooner or later, you're going to download the messages anyway, at
least once if you even skim the body of the message, and multiple
times if you view it multiple times. The other part of the equation is
that downloading entire messages with POP3 is a non-issue with today's
broadband connections and even the most meager modern hardware, and
only happens once if you do a local sync.

It's lose/lose for IMAP, any way you look at it.

The bottom line is that IMAP is totally unnecessary and irrelevant.
It's yet another case of a competing standard that only complicates
the world and doesn't provide any real advantages.