Re: Diablo's Modest/Email

On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 11:32 AM, James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Mark wrote:
>
>> The assertion that IMAP is better for use on multiple computers is
>> absolutely untrue, as I have had great success with POP3 on multiple
>> computers for many years. The truth is that I have more precise
>> control, with much less fussing and finagling, with POP3 than with
>> IMAP. As a matter of fact, most of the assertions about IMAP's
>> supposed advantages over POP3 are patently untrue.
>>
>> The truth is that IMAP has some limitations of its own (ironically due
>> to its online server-oriented nature) that don't exist at all with
>> POP3, and while IMAP may be better for some, POP3 is far better for
>> others.
>>
>> It's the difference between Windows and Linux: IMAP is Windows,
>> bloated and trying to be all things to all people, whereas POP is
>> Linux, with the power to do *exactly* what you want it to do and do it
>> a lot more efficiently, you just have to know how to get it done.
>
> This is one area where I have to disagree.

You have every right to have differing requirements and usage, but you
don't really have a right to disagree with the premise, which is that
different people have different needs. If IMAP works better for you,
great! That's exactly my point. I started this argument because
somebody said "IMAP is what *you* want", not "IMAP is what I
prefer"...

> Having used POP and IMAP,
> there's no way I'd use POP when I have a choice.  I read my personal
> email on a variety of computers, including one at work.  With IMAP, my
> mail is consistent on all computers.

... which is exactly what I *don't* like about IMAP. I also do email
on a variety of devices, from a desktop with huge amounts of storage
and processing power to my tablet, with relatively modest processing
power and relatively microscopic storage. I can store *everything* on
my desktop and easily back it up, work with a significantly smaller
subset of that on my laptop, and only the necessary stuff on my
tablet. I've used devices that are so limited that IMAP simply isn't
an option (it's not supported). I use Procmail to do filtering and
routing pre-Inbox, which greatly reduces the amount of network
bandwidth used by spam and other garbage, as well as increases
organization.

> I don't have to remember to
> download a message to a computer, before it disappear from a POP server.

I've never had a message "disappear" from a POP server that I didn't
*specify* to be deleted. Any "disappearing" messages are due to
incorrect settings, faulty filtering logic or bugs in the client. It
has nothing to do with POP3 or IMAP.

>  I don't have to remember what computer I sent a message from, when
> searching my sent messages.

Neither do I. That's what the search function is for, and if in doubt
I know everything is on the desktop.

> No matter which computer I use, all the
> messages are there and when I delete from one, I delete from all, since
> the mail is stored in a common location.

Again, this is a *limitation*, not an asset, as far as I am concerned.

I find it ironic that people who are ordinarily paranoid about
privacy, reliability, control, etc. don't have a problem putting their
faith in some server that could be anywhere, and could be out of
service at the worst possible time, along with all your old email.
Also, anything that exists on a server not under your direct control
can be accessed by others without your knowledge or consent. On the
other hand, if your messages are only on the server for a short time
and you keep your stuff offline, you will at least know if somebody
wants it because they will either leave a trail or will have to
subpoena *you*, not somebody else. (No, I'm not paranoid about this,
but it is a valid issue.)

(And if you're still saving all your email to *any* of your local
machines, you're utterly invalidating any possible arguments you may
have as to IMAP's "advantages"...)

Yes, I know that IMAP can be set up to act like POP3, but the reverse
is also true, and because POP3 is my preference, I don't like having
to jump through those particular hoops.

In actual fact, there isn't enough difference between POP3 and IMAP
for even my arguments to bear much weight: the difference is more in
the implementation and usage than in the protocols. I just don't like
someone else telling me what I want. ;-)

> However, the above does not excuse the problems of with the mail program
> or the arrogance of some.

Okay, rant over. :-)

Mark