Re: Diablo's Modest/Email

Mark wrote:

> The assertion that IMAP is better for use on multiple computers is
> absolutely untrue, as I have had great success with POP3 on multiple
> computers for many years. The truth is that I have more precise
> control, with much less fussing and finagling, with POP3 than with
> IMAP. As a matter of fact, most of the assertions about IMAP's
> supposed advantages over POP3 are patently untrue.
>
> The truth is that IMAP has some limitations of its own (ironically due
> to its online server-oriented nature) that don't exist at all with
> POP3, and while IMAP may be better for some, POP3 is far better for
> others.
>
> It's the difference between Windows and Linux: IMAP is Windows,
> bloated and trying to be all things to all people, whereas POP is
> Linux, with the power to do *exactly* what you want it to do and do it
> a lot more efficiently, you just have to know how to get it done.

This is one area where I have to disagree.  Having used POP and IMAP,
there's no way I'd use POP when I have a choice.  I read my personal
email on a variety of computers, including one at work.  With IMAP, my
mail is consistent on all computers.  I don't have to remember to
download a message to a computer, before it disappear from a POP server.
  I don't have to remember what computer I sent a message from, when
searching my sent messages.  No matter which computer I use, all the
messages are there and when I delete from one, I delete from all, since
the mail is stored in a common location.

However, the above does not excuse the problems of with the mail program
or the arrogance of some.