Re: Need C++ Compiler

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 04:59:01PM +0100, Matt Emson wrote:
> Dr. Nicholas Shaw wrote:
>
> As Maemo doesn't use C++ that much (if at all?) you can probably use the
> gcc/g++ from Bora - however, libc and such will probably be an issue. I
> did have a go at getting it to work, but apt-get goes into a mad
> dependency spiral and kills the OS trying to downgrade the system to an
> earlier libC...

I ran into a mad dependency spiral trying to upgrade Debian sarge
directly to Debian lenny this week.  It was a matter of having no good
stepping stone between old kernel+old libc and new kernel+new
libc.  Apparently if they get too far apart (and they do during an
upgrade even if you ask for them to be done all at once) they won't
work, and so the dependencies prevent that.

Not to mention that lots of other code seems to depend on specific
versions of libc.

That wsa on Debian.  I imagine things may be worse on maemo.

-- hendrik