Re: Announcing the "wiki page a day"

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 02:53:37PM +0200, Dave Neary wrote:
> Hi Hendrik,
>

> hendrik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > I have tried several times to install scratchbox and other soeftware for
> > maemo development on my Debian system, and have not succeeded.  There
> > seem to be instructions and relevant repositories secreted in carious
> > places on the web.  However, when following perfectly reasonable-looking
> > instructions, I keep finding that they don't work as described --
> > usually because the relevant repositories have desappeared.
>
> Have you followed this page? http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/4.0/INSTALL.txt

It's the one that told me how to find the Nokia script I mentioned.  It
also provides (in section 2.2) another procedure, which failed for me,
using the detailed instructions.  I'll try again, of course.

> It is the canonical reference for installing Scratchbox for maemo 4.0
>
> Chapter 3 of the Maemo Diablo (v4.1) reference contains detailed
> instructions for installing Scratchbox & getting started.
>
> > I'd like to request an up-to-date page on installing the development
> > environment in a way that's compatible with responsible system
> > administration on Debian.  Even the Nokia's script that says it uses the
> > Debian packaging system and claims to write only to a specific (new)
> > top-level file system does, in fact, write elsewhere.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by this - what is the Nokia package doing
> wrong? Where is it writing?

As far as I can tell, it writes in /etc/apt/sources.list.  Now it
probably has to in order to use the packaging system, but it really
should mention that instead of saying,

" Running the script will not modify any files outside its given install
"    path.

Finding this discrepancy makes me suspicious, maybe unjustly.

> > Finally, debian lenny now has a package called scratchbox2.  The
> > instructions I've seen all use variations on scratchbox 1.*.  Is that a
> > sign the instructions are obsolete?  Or is scratchbox2 really a very
> > different thing?
>
> I'm afraid I don't know the answer to that. The Scratchbox website
> suggests it's simply an evolution of Scratchbox 1.

I found instructios somewhere that used scratchbox2, but I couldn't get
them to work either.

-- hendrik