Re: Nokia: Linux Needs to Learn Business

On Fri, 2008-06-13 at 15:10 -0600, ext Mark wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 2:49 PM, Igor Stoppa <igor.stoppa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2008-06-13 at 14:30 -0600, ext Mark wrote:
> >
> >> What he *really* means is "until we accept their statements at face
> >> value with no questions". "Learning" is the very last thing they want
> >> us to do, because that means the acquisition of knowledge. They don't
> >> want us to know what's really going on, they want us to accept things
> >> as they are. There's a huge difference.
> >
> > Even if I've never met you, I can't help immaging you wearing a tinfoil
> > hat while you are writing these words. A bit paranoid, aren't they?
>
> Disillusioned and realistic are much more accurate descriptions.

I've heard many times conspiration theories like this. They usually
involve making the "enemy" smarter than he actually is or will ever be.
You are well down that road.

> Gullible would be very descriptive of you.

Heh, if you refer to the fact that I try to argue with you, probably
yes.

>  Not to mention
> inflammatory.

And why not? Do you think you have the monopoly?

> It's really easy to discount someone by labeling them as crazy or
> "paranoid" when you have nothing to actually refute their arguments.

I do have arguments and they have been provided, but since it goes
against what you want to believe, you ignore it.

For example can you deny that Opera has been abandoned?

> Implicit in your statement is that the number of open apps has
> increased, thereby increasing the percentage of open software, but
> your statistic is intended to cover up the fact that the amount of
> closed software hasn't changed. What's more, the closed stuff is the
> most fundamental stuff, which means there is a very definite and
> restrictive limit to the kinds of things the open source people can
> do.

wow, here comes the tinfoil again ... i'm just wondering when you'll
pull Lee Oswald in the discussion.

If you care enough to search the archives of the maemo ml you'll see
that I have been actually listing those impediments that you are foaming
about.

> Don't get me wrong; the community has already done amazing things with
> the little it's been given.

I wouldn't say that it's so little. More can be done, but you are making
such generic statements that having a real confrontation is impossible.

I'm sure you won't believe me since I'm part of the conspiracy and my
@nokia address proves it beyond any doubt, but there really is a daily
effort and struggle to improve practices to better cope with the open
source way and become good citizens.

--
Cheers, Igor

---