Re: Nokia: Linux Needs to Learn Business

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 3:46 PM, Aniello Del Sorbo <anidel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I don't understand.
> We always ask companies to become open source and they had almost never listened.
> Now that Nokia is moving towards open source, we shout at them.
>
> What's the reasoning ?

Have you ever heard of a thing called a "token gesture"? That's what
Nokia is doing.

> By the way, Ari was just talking to "you".
> You say that they can make their own chip...that's exactly what he wants. That "you" should try to learn and understand why they don't.
> There is a reason and neither you or me know it.

Speak for yourself. Maybe you're naive enough to not know the reasons, but I do.

> Until we learn, too.

What he *really* means is "until we accept their statements at face
value with no questions". "Learning" is the very last thing they want
us to do, because that means the acquisition of knowledge. They don't
want us to know what's really going on, they want us to accept things
as they are. There's a huge difference.

Progress isn't made by accepting things as they are.

> By learning this, we can improve our efforts on helping the companies on the path towards open source.
>
> --
> Aniello Del Sorbo

Until "the companies" realize that they are slitting their own throats
by not doing the right thing, the lessons are theirs to learn.

Mark