Re: Nokia: Linux Needs to Learn Business

From: Andre Klapper <aklapper@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Am Freitag, den 13.06.2008, 16:28 -0400 schrieb Steve Brown:
> No joke; I don't want my phone to be like a car, I hate cars. It's
> kind of sad that Jaaksi feels he needs to teach open source developers
> something, instead of learn from them. First off: we don't want to be
> taught about Nokia's business rules, that's between Nokia and their
> partners.

so you want to ignore the business reality out there? you personally can
do that, but a company can't. it's always easy to state stuff as this,
but a company has to care about its position in the market and about
gaining benefits.

Business reality? *looks over at OpenMoko* Although it isn't mine to worry about, some companies (smaller ones than nokia, even) seem to be doing fine in this business reality. What's better, OpenMoko seem to be delivering open handhelds and not excuses (or semi-open handhelds). I'm not going to draw out a roadmap of what Nokia should do to conquer the open source handheld market, because frankly, there is a lot that we aren't told about Nokia's business (and I love how some people on here are pretending that they have all of these details about it). But, on one side I have Nokia saying it is almost impossible, and then OpenMoko simply DOING it. So, the real business reality is that it IS possible, and Nokia isn't doing it for other reasons. All of which is totally fine, I'll go for the open one, not the closed one that says "well, atleast we tried".

> Now he just wants to get and not give

and that is just plain wrong, if you take a look at the contributions
that Nokia and its partners have given back e.g. to the GNOME software
stack. just take a look at the ChangeLog files.

I'm sorry for the confusion, I was talking more about giving us non-drm'd/locked down phones, not them contributing to OSS. Software contributions are great (well... that's for another thread), but the problem we're talking about now seem to stem more from hardware and the drivers to make them work. That is what this whole thread is about, right? Are those not the source of these (alleged) business problems?

I did read Jaaksi's blog just now, and I'm happy to see that he isn't as ignorant as the article made him sound.

-Steve