Re: Garnet VM & PIM

On Tuesday 22 Apr 2008, Mark wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 10:15 AM, Jonathan Markevich
> <jmarkevich+lists@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > It's contained all in one big file in the /home/user/.gvm/ folder called
> > gvm.store. you can't really access it easily.  It could be a loopback
> > device, but even if it is, they haven't said anything about what
filesystem
> > is on there.
> >
> This directory doesn't seem to exist on my device. It has to be
> storing data somewhere else that doesn't get deleted when the app is
> uninstalled. Otherwise, an uninstall and reinstall should bring it
> back to working order.

Not necessarily. If the package is just removed (dpkg -r "packagename"),
configuration files are left in place. If the package is subsequently
re-installed, dpkg assumes those files will still be there so doesn't
re-install them. To be certain that the next re-install will definitely
install config files you need to purge the package (dpkg -P "packagename").

I don't know for certain which option the application manager uses, but I have
a feeling it's only remove rather than purge.

--
Tony Green
Ipswich, Suffolk, England

** This message is digitally signed. If your email client is unable to read
digital signatures, you may see an attachment that you cannot open. See
http://www.gnupg.org/(en)/documentation/faqs.html for more information.
You can validate my PGP key from my website: http://www.beermad.org.uk/
* No Micro$oft products were used in the generation of this communication