Re: Can't become root :-(

On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 3:04 PM, Mark <wolfmane@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I made the mistake of trying fennec on my N800. *BIG* mistake! Not
>  only was it completely unusable without a hardware keyboard, it
>  screwed up MicroB as well. Without access to settings in fennec, I
>  could no longer access any web functions that require javascript. It
>  also screwed up the login memory function - now I have to fill in the
>  username manually, even though I've already chosen it out of the list,
>  before it will fill in the password, thereby defeating the whole
>  purpose of that function. (Through all this, the settings in the
>  dialogs in MicroB remained the same, although I did try changing them
>  and then changing them back to see if that would reset things.)

I did run into the same issue. But only with a few sites and not all
of them. I never drew the connection between my problems and
installing/uninstalling fennec. I guess it was the sites that I
visited using fennec that got their settings clobbered in MicroB. I
will try to delete and remake the stored passwords and see it that
helps.

Not to be unsympathetic (because I am and believe that this sort of
thing shouldn't happen), but if you are installing something as raw as
fennec, you are living out on the bleeding edge. Expect to be cut once
in a while.

I don't recall warnings to that effect on the fennec installation.
Just the default warning about third-party apps which everyone has
been trained to ignore since you can't install much without that
popping up.

Having said that, the warning is sound. If you install stuff from
third-party repos, you have to accept some responsibility of breakage.
The QA that goes on in most of the repos needs to improve but for now
you have to be aware that it is minimal.

/Mike