Re: Garnet VM & PIM

It's contained all in one big file in the /home/user/.gvm/ folder called gvm.store. you can't really access it easily.  It could be a loopback device, but even if it is, they haven't said anything about what filesystem is on there.

So there are several very valid complaints here:
1) Access is running a horrible beta program.  It's "teaseware".  No user feedback, no developer feedback.  No hint of future support.  No documentation.

2) No serious PIM on the platform.  GPE is "conceptware".  It doesn't even handle alarms acceptably.  No icons for events.  No categories in todo.  Sync through erminig is a great hack but a nasty implementation.
Gene Cash developed some scripts in python that are better, but still miles from a good Palm PIM, and kinda slow.  He had trouble installing OS2008 so abandoned all the OS2008 users.  Another great hack, of course, but not professional at all.

3) No serious contact app.  GPE contacts is not bad for accessing, but insanity to try and format things just so so that it figures out first and last names.  Is it really that hard to put in 2 fields for that?  Nothing is integrated with anything else.  Skype and Gizmo are given huge prominence, and have no connection with the system contacts list.  At least the Google Talk client has some kind of integration...

I've pretty much given up using the tablet for PIM use for now.  I'd pay good money for something like Pocket Informant, if they ported it. You're almost better off getting the smallest Palm handheld you can find and carrying that alongside.

4) Data exchange is buggy across the board.  gpesyncd can do it, but you have to fuss with your file for a long time before it's happy.  Check the ITT forums for some people that have done it, in a few different ways.