Nokia N810 PIM

On Fri, Feb 08, 2008 at 11:02:44PM +0100, Tommy Persson wrote:
> Jason Edgecombe <jason at rampaginggeek.com> writes:
>
> > Peter Hickey wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > A couple of quick question from someone who has just upgraded from a
> > > Palm Tx to a N810.
> > >
> > > 1. I am hoping someone can point me to a good Personal information
> > > manager and address book that I could use to get updates from google
> > > calendar.
> > > 2. Can I install open office or similar Doc reader on my n810.
> > > 3. Is there anyway to make a template up that I can either email or
> > > update a web page from my N810. I am looking and creating
> > > a template document for listing my jobs completed so they can be passed
> > > onto Myob for the accounts people.
> > >
> > > If there is anyone out there who also has a palm background who is now
> > > using a N810 I would love to chat. Maybe even a Skype call or two.
> > >
> > 1. The GPE tools are your best bet. You'll need to add the repository.
> > On your n810, go to
> > http://www.gronmayer.com/it/index.php?lang=en&system=maemo4 and click on
> > OS2008, then search for GPE. Click on the install icon for the
> > repository that has GPE. After that go into application manager, browse
> > installable apps and install all of the gpe apps.
>
> I just changed from a Palm T5 to a N810 and are trying to reuse my
> memos and todos and see if the gpe calender is useful. What I wonder
> is if the calender and todo data is backed up when I do a backup? I
> really do not have any need to synchonize with some other calender but
> I want to be sure that I cannot loose my data.

If you mean backup through the control panel? No, that does not backup
your GPE data. You will need to either use a tool like opensync or use a
simple file backup like rsync to make sure your data is safer.

> And more general, how do you know that for an arbitrary applicaton?

You can pretty much assume that if the app is third party that it is the
third party's responsibility to hook it into the ITOS backup utility.
Which generally means that most of these apps are not covered by the
backup tool.

Erik Hovland
mail: erik at hovland.org
web: http://hovland.org/