Canola2 beta2 is out!

On Feb 3, 2008 2:17 PM, Kevin T. Neely <ktneely at astroturfgarden.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 03, 2008 at 11:32:06AM -0300, Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri wrote:
> > On Feb 3, 2008 12:41 AM, Fred Chittenden <drfredc at drfredc.com> wrote:

> > > Canola loading box for a couple seconds.  I suppose there's the red
> > > pill mode which might sort things out, but what end user has time to
> > > play with that game? If it's not a gui option, it's not worth my time.
> > > I'll just uninstall it and move on until things are actually end user
> > > working.
>

> I figure that beta software is never really "end-user" ready, and I'm happy to do what I can to sort this out and make Canola a better product.
> I cannot remember if I mentioned this in my last report, but after disabling the repositories, I originally tried to install Canola via the GUI.  I received a "downloadmanager conflict error, so i did it with an 'apt-get install canola2' and that appeared to work just fine.  This was via ssh, but I answered the usual GUI-based questions on the device itself.
>
> > or -vv (the most verbose, includes debug info). Daemons can be stopped
> > with "stop" command line parameter and started with "start -vv
> > --logfile=/home/user/XX.log", so running these should help:
>
> I have some output for you, after enabling the more verbose logging as you described.  My only change was to alter 'gustavo' to 'user'.  :)
> I assume that the daemons will go back to less verbose logging if I restart the device.

Yes, they start in default mode (non verbose).

> Nokia-770-36:~# canola -vv
> Illegal instruction

Ha! Reason: you had installed bora packages on your 770.

Point is: hacker edition is a backport of bora packages to 770, they
use the same software stack, but 770 is a different hardware platform.
Since we compile bora packages with optimizations for arm11, then you
get this illegal instruction error.

1 - Just uninstall all the dependencies:
    apt-get --purge remove libevas0 libecore0 libeet0 libembryo0 mplayer
2 - Disable the following repositories:
    deb http://repository.maemo.org   bora free non-free
    deb http://repository.maemo.org/extras/   bora free non-free
3 - Enable the following repositories:
    deb http://repository.maemo.org   gregale free non-free
    deb http://repository.maemo.org/extras/   gregale free non-free
4 - Install canola2:
     apt-get update; apt-get install canola2 mplayer
5 - Undo steps 3 and 2 (disable gregale, enable bora)

Sorry for the inconvenience, but since you're using hacker edition you
might like some fun! :-)

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
Jabber: barbieri at gmail.com