Canola2 beta2 is out!

Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri wrote:
> On Feb 3, 2008 12:41 AM, Fred Chittenden <drfredc at drfredc.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 21:44:58 -0500
>> "Kevin T. Neely" <ktneely at astroturfgarden.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Now, I try to start it, but nothing happens.  The device says "Canola
>>>

>>  This is where I'm at with Canola on OS2008 on an n800 after struggling
>> a couple hours to clear up a failed download.
>>
>>  It's kind of tough to
>> get things done or tell what's possible with ap manager stalling at 1
>> meg of updates most every time. Then uninstalling it doesn't work
>> either. Restoring didn't get rid of it from app manager, but it did
>> finally allow it to be uninstalled and the reinstalled with enough
>> success to at least appear in the extras folder so I can look at the
>> Canola loading box for a couple seconds.  I suppose there's the red
>> pill mode which might sort things out, but what end user has time to
>> play with that game? If it's not a gui option, it's not worth my time.
>> I'll just uninstall it and move on until things are actually end user
>> working.
>>

> These reports are weird, we tested Canola2 on gregale and hacker
> edition, I even have it running on my personal 770/gregale with
> success.
>
> I see 2 possibilities here (just guesses):
>  - another package is installed and causes a conflict somehow, many
> components are mixed in hacked edition
>  - you tried to install with bora repositories and now you have stale
> packages compiled for arm11 and them cause "Illegal Instruction",
> however I just saw this error at the beginning, no splash screen is
> shown.
>
> We can try to figure out it together, but we need more information.
> One way to debug canola app and daemons is to launch with -v (verbose)
> or -vv (the most verbose, includes debug info). Daemons can be stopped
> with "stop" command line parameter and started with "start -vv
> --logfile=/home/user/XX.log", so running these should help:
>
>     atabake stop; atabake start -vv --logfile=/home/gustavo/atabake.log
>     downloadmanager stop; downloadmanager start -vv
> --logfile=/home/gustavo/downloadmanager.log
>     canolad stop; canolad start -vv --logfile=/home/gustavo/canolad.log
>     canola -vv
Thanks for your attention to my problem.   However, I'm a committed GUI
user, and not into the secret decoder ring stuff, at least not any
more.  My secret decoder ring (systems programmer) days were back in the
80s.

  To move on to some of your questions/concerns -- Yes, sometime in the
last 8 months, I might have installed Canola 1, as well as a bunch of
other stuff, while exploring software options on the n800.   If
something is there to click, I'll click it and see what happens.  Then
uninstall it with another click...  Oh sure occasionally, I've had to
restore from backups to get things working again.  Then there's the 2008
OS upgrade and another round of click install and uninstalls of most
anything.  Who knows what is or isn't left lurking around at this point?

  IMHO, this sort of stuff isn't necessarily my problem as far as
getting Canola working goes...  As part of the normal install process,
it seems one should check and clean up all of the BS dependencies that
might interfere with things working, then install what is needed to get
things working.  At least in a perfect world that's perhaps how things
might work.  It seems this OS is set up with install most things by some
sort of 'slam load' process that doesn't include checking for all of the
proper dependencies, instead it relies upon some pre-existing state of
code compliance, which probably isn't to be found in the cluttered
status of many enduser devices.  Hence, code with all sorts of complex
dependencies ends up a mess for some, works great for others.

  FYI, last time I had a problem like this with a windows product,
software support came up with an automated program that searched out and
cleaned up the registry and hard drive of any lingering junk that their
earlier programs had created with a simple click of a program with an
icon.  It turned out one of the programmers had previously wrote this
short program to clean up his own computer so he could proceed with his
programming work without distractions.  Go figure that something similar
might actually be useful for endusers...  Like DUH...  I've noted a
similar trend in recent years with lots of Windows software -- the
installation process has a small program that checks and clean up messes
before installing new code.  This keeps things working and reputations
on track.

  An analogy from my clinic work might be helpful.  Suppose you come to
me with an infected tooth.  Generally you don't want me to spend a
couple weeks diagnosing what specific bacteria is causing your problem,
you want to just take this antibiotic and then after that cleans things
up a bit, we'll proceed with the next step in therapy.  You seem to be
too focused on finding out what the problem is for each specific
situation when a one size fits all clean up solution is what is required
to get most everyone beyond all of the "secret decoder ring" BS.  If
this requires some preinstall-Canola program to generically check and
clean stuff up, which then perhaps even downloads and installs what is
needed, fine, get to it.  Just don't expect most end-users to start
poking around with -v or -vv then get back to you and such.

  BTW, thanks for your work on developing Canola.  It sounds like
something that could be a break thru product if it works as described.
It would be way cool if sometime down the road it might help break down
the Ipod and Zune proprietary wifi walls and bring them into the Open
Source daylight.

--

Always, Dr Fred C
drfredc at drfredc.com