Nokia NXXX With A Phone!

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 00:22:44 -0500, "Jonathan Greene"
<atmasphere at atmasphere.net> wrote:
> It's pretty painless to switch the SIM card out.  As long as it's open
> and not packaged from the carrier there should be no issue.  I
> purchased an N95 NAM (north american) from the Nokia Store and put my
> iPhone ATT sim in and have been using it that way since ... no issues
> - though the the MMS service is blocked, thanks to Apple and ATT.  My
> data service is smooth and I've got 3.5G service now.  If the radio
> and SIM slot are there you could use it anywhere and on any carrier
> that supported the bands.

What frequencies would this radio support? (850,900,1700,1800,1900,2100)
(1700 and 2100 are data only)
What data standards? EDGE? UMTS? HSDPA? and on which of the above
frequencies?

GSM is a standard with a lot of variation and some inconsistency globally.
I don't like carrying another device, but I think it would add a lot to the
cost (and maybe size) to add a really good GSM chipset with good worldwide
data and voice coverage (and at least 3.5G) - you don't see to many even in
pure phones.

Rgds.
j.