Nokia NXXX With A Phone!

Joshua Layne wrote:
> What frequencies would this radio support? (850,900,1700,1800,1900,2100)
> (1700 and 2100 are data only)
> What data standards? EDGE? UMTS? HSDPA? and on which of the above
> frequencies?

Quad band phones are more common than they used to be but GPRS, even
with EDGE, is too slow to carry VoIP traffic. I'm just of the opinion
that Nokia already has a Symbian smart phone line (the communicator 9000
and E90 series) and if they wanted to make the N700/800/810 in to the
same kind of product that they'd have done so from the beginning --
unless they're just testing the waters with the Linux platform as the
only real experience they have with it is in the hardened IPSO BSD/Linux
firewall OS variant. Of course, whether any of those 3 dev groups work
together or not is a mystery to me. I've worked for even small to
mid-size orgs (less than 150 people) where you can still discover people
across the building working with the same tech you've been twiddling
with for just as long. So I can see Nokia making future Maemo products
with voice integration but to discard the purely IP based platform would
be, in my opinion, unfortunate.

-Gary