New, renamed version of 770-encode video converter now available

Andrew Flegg wrote:
> On Nov 20, 2007 10:40 PM, Peter Flynn <peter at silmaril.ie> wrote:
> [how to know what DVD title to rip]
[...]
> Googling for this error turned up this, hopefully it'll help:
>
>     http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=299113

Aha. Thanks: running
$ sudo  /usr/share/doc/libdvdread3/install-css.sh
installed the missing libdvdcss2 and now lsdvd works.
WTF this isn't automatic is anyone's guess :-)

>>  > *Usually* the main feature is title 1, so you can do:
>>>     tablet-encode -p best dvd://1 myfilm.avi
>> "Failed to get movie info."
>
> This is probably related to your DVD issues also affecting lsdvd and dvdinfo.

Yep. Encoding away happily now. Very many thanks for your help.

Looks like Ubuntu still has a little way to go before DVDs can be
considered playable. Totem still says it has no codec for this DVD (the
movie Amelie) despite me having installed *all* those available.

>> Will it then encode just one VOB file, or will it somehow know that the
>> movie is split across eight or nine of them?
>
> VOB files are just containers. You don't need to deal with them
> directly.

OK, so one of them *is* a driver for the actual movie, and the VOBs must
just get #include'd somehow.

> Possibly. This'd introduce a dependency on lsdvd to find the largest
> title, but it's certainly doable. I'll add it to the TODO list.

 From the look of it you'd better not, if lsdvd is dependent on a
libdvdcss2 which is not automatically installed.

>> If you're doing this from a DVD, which I assume is by far and away the
>> most common scenario, is it possible to make tablet-encode work out
>> what file to start at?
>
> Personally, I use the DVD ripping less than I use it for re-encoding
> videos I've already got.

This is probably true in the USA, where bandwidth and availability means
you can download movies fairly easily. Possibly not so elsewhere.

 > I think the best way, TBH, would be to allow
> a syntax like:
>
>     tablet-encode dvd:// myfilm.avi
> or tablet-encode /media/cdrom0 myfilm.avi
> or tablet-encode /dev/dvd myfilm.avi
>
> ...and have it a) detect it as a DVD, b) call lsdvd to find the
> longest track and generate an appropriate URL of the form
> dvd://<track>.

That sounds ideal.

///Peter