New, renamed version of 770-encode video converter now available

Andrew Flegg wrote:
> On Nov 20, 2007 9:30 PM, Peter Flynn <peter at silmaril.ie> wrote:
>> Andrew Flegg wrote:
>>> Many of you use my script 770-encode to transcode videos for your
>>> Nokia Internet Tablet. This name is obviously an anachronism, so to
>>> go along with the imminent availability of the N810, it's now been
>>> renamed "tablet-encode" and moved to a Garage project:
>> This looks really excellent, many thanks.
>
> Glad it looks useful to you :-)
>
>> One small query, however, from someone who knows absolutely zilch about
>> video files...if I insert a DVD into my Ubuntu Gutsy laptop, how do I
>> know *which* file[s] to give as arguments to tablet-encode? The listing
>> of /media/cdrom0 says there's an AUDIO_TS directory (empty) and a
>> VIDEO_TS directory (full):
>
> As Brad Midgley says, lsdvd and dvdinfo are your best bets. These
> should tell you the titles on the disc.

Both of these are broken in Ubuntu Gutsy, unfortunately.

$ lsdvd

*** libdvdread: CHECK_VALUE failed in ifo_read.c:1539 ***
*** for info_length % sizeof(cell_adr_t) == 0 ***

*** libdvdread: CHECK_VALUE failed in ifo_read.c:1674 ***
*** for info_length % sizeof(uint32_t) == 0 ***

*** libdvdread: CHECK_VALUE failed in ifo_read.c:1539 ***
*** for info_length % sizeof(cell_adr_t) == 0 ***

libdvdread: Invalid title IFO (VTS_01_0.IFO).
libdvdread: Invalid IFO for title 1 (VTS_01_0.BUP).
Can't open ifo 1!

$ ./dvdinfo.py
dvdinfo.py version 1.1
Sybren St?vel <sybren at stuvel.eu>
http://www.stuvel.eu/dvdinfo

Done reading.
Longest title: 0
Chapters: None
Audio tracks:
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "./dvdinfo.py", line 207, in <module>
     main()
   File "./dvdinfo.py", line 199, in main
     for aid, info in audiotracks.iteritems():
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'iteritems'

$

 > *Usually* the main feature is title 1, so you can do:
>
>     tablet-encode -p best dvd://1 myfilm.avi

"Failed to get movie info."

What's dvd://? I've never seen that method of a URI before. Inserting a
DVD in my Inspiron 4150 automounts it as /media/cdrom0

Will it then encode just one VOB file, or will it somehow know that the
movie is split across eight or nine of them?

> I may well, at some point, do a Gtk+ GUI which shows DVD thumbnails
> and chapter information to make this easier; but if anyone got there
> before me, I'd be *very* happy to give them svn access to
> mediautils.garage.maemo.org.

Better, given that there is usually only one movie per DVD, add an
option that says table-encode -p whatever -fromdvd myfilm.avi

If you're doing this from a DVD, which I assume is by far and away the
most common scenario, is it possible to make tablet-encode work out
what file to start at?

///Peter