Creating hype (was Re: Fwd: Skype on N800)

James, I totally agree with you in these points. Alright, point taken.
Let's move to practical points.

As a maemo team member I still don't see the need for us to push the
hype around devices and non-free software for the tablets. It deaviates
us from the maemo scope and we risk to get more and more people
subscribed in this list caring more about the above than about maemo
itself.

If someone wants to rise these topics fine, but please understand if we
maemo developers are not the first ones pushing them and we don't even
follow much the discussion.

However:

- As a free software user and enthusiast I do see the benefits of
creating hype around the Nokia Internet Tablets. They can bring like a
Trojan Horse the open source code and culture to the mainstream, the
immense and real mainstream Nokia deals day to day, globally. Aspects
like
http://www.greenpeace.org/international/news/apple-greener-nokia-first-260607 or http://www.nokia.com/corporate_responsibility are friendly (or at least not unfriendly) with this spirit, so I think Nokia is an interesting player, and I don't see as a bad thing a hype around its open source based products.

- As a Nokia customer I think this company has the tools to create hype,
and in a reasonable way. Nokia is one of the most recognized brands of
the World, I guess not by coincidence or destiny. Nokia decides the
degree of hype that wants to push for every product, from experimental
or niche products unnoticed by most people to mobile phones and devices
'what computer have become' that are desired by zillions and recognized
even by my grandma. But yes, besides or complemeting this hype strategy
as a Nokia customer I also would like to see tools for me to push this
hype, specially the aspects of it I prefer to push (for me is openness,
for others could be Internet, for others mobility, and so on).

- As a Nokia employee I have almost a mandate to push these values:
http://www.nokia.com/A4254188 . Push Nokia with proposals going in the
direction of these values and your chances of getting results will be
much higher. Really. The context around maemo and the tablets is already
very human and with a clear passion for innovation. Engaging you and
achieving together is basically what you are requesting when asking for
more hype and high expectations.

Bring ideas to this list and we will make sure that the relevant people
at Nokia know about them and discuss or take the corresponding actions.

PS: btw, speaking of adverts, http://www.theinternetwalk.com/ won a
bronze Cyber Lyon prize at http://www.canneslionslive.com/ . See
http://www.canneslionslive.com/cyber/ and
http://www.canneslionslive.com/cyber/win_4_1_02049.htm