kind of off-topic, but not completely: some questions about the N800

Dear friends,

I have just acquired the N800 and I love it.  I do have a number of
questions about it which are not really maemo-related, but since this list
is one of well-informed N770/N800 users I thought I might at well ask here.

1) Xterm: I have installed xterm and even got myself a root password (using
dropbear ssh).  However, this is no the Bash shell I am used to and the
commands do not have man or info pages.  Where can I find some documentation
on this shell's usage?  And one small thing: show do I scroll up numerous
pages (like to examine the contents of a 'netstat' command)?  BTW - when I
do netstat|less I get a warning that "this terminal is not fully
functional".  Any ideas as to what that means?

2) Batteries: Nokia's documentation says that once the batteries are charged
the unit should be disconnected (same thing for my Nokia phone, BTW).  So
does that mean that overnight recharge is not an option?  Can/should I run
the unit without a battery inside when/if I can?  The battery life of the
unit (and of my Nokia phone) is, alas, rather short.  Has anyone tried
purchasing a non-Nokia battery for cheaper and possibly with a longer
battery life?

3) I have installed mplayer.  Both the original media player and mplayer
tend to make the unit freeze (with the sound track still running) has anyone
come up with a solution for this

4) I have installed a lot of small files on the internal 2GB card and ever
since  see the unit doing "refreshing" very often and for a long while.  Is
there any way to make this better.

5) on bootup I notice (with a CPU monitoring applet) that the CPU is working
at full blast.  I did a "top" in xterm to see who was taking so much CPU
power and I found out that the culprit is 'metalayer-c'.  Any idea of who
that is and why this happens?

6) has anyone succeeded in installing a firewall on the N800?  I could, of
course, write a small script for iptables but its just not convenient to
access the root account with ssh each time then run the ipables script.  Any
better ideas?

7) is there a car charger for the N800?

Ok. that's about it.  Sorry for the non-maemo linked questions & many thanks
for any pointers,

Andrei