kind of off-topic, but not completely: some questions about the N800

On 4/2/07, andrei raevsky <raevsky.andrei at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear friends,
>
> I have just acquired the N800 and I love it.  I do have a number of
> questions about it which are not really maemo-related, but since this list
> is one of well-informed N770/N800 users I thought I might at well ask here.

  First off, you might want to flash the the latest version of the
firmware (v3.2007.10-7) as I can pretty much guarantee you don't have
it.  It will likely help with potential problems that crop up.  You
can get the windows install here: http://europe.nokia.com/A4305010

> 1) Xterm: I have installed xterm and even got myself a root password (using
> dropbear ssh).  However, this is no the Bash shell I am used to and the
> commands do not have man or info pages.  Where can I find some documentation
> on this shell's usage?  And one small thing: show do I scroll up numerous
> pages (like to examine the contents of a 'netstat' command)?  BTW - when I
> do netstat|less I get a warning that "this terminal is not fully
> functional".  Any ideas as to what that means?

  Not really anything to worry about, and you might want to try "more".

> 2) Batteries: Nokia's documentation says that once the batteries are charged
> the unit should be disconnected (same thing for my Nokia phone, BTW).  So
> does that mean that overnight recharge is not an option?  Can/should I run
> the unit without a battery inside when/if I can?  The battery life of the
> unit (and of my Nokia phone) is, alas, rather short.  Has anyone tried
> purchasing a non-Nokia battery for cheaper and possibly with a longer
> battery life?

  The notice about disconnecting is from an older era in batteries and
is no longer applicable.  You can't run without a battery inside.
It's really just gambling with your tablet to use non-Nokia batteries;
some do it with success but it seems like battery life is not as much
as you'd expect.

> 3) I have installed mplayer.  Both the original media player and mplayer
> tend to make the unit freeze (with the sound track still running) has anyone
> come up with a solution for this

  Make sure you have the latest mplayer and firmware installed and it
should work; make sure the resolution of the video and bitrate is low
enough.  See http://www.internettablettalk.com and search for mplayer
for lengthy discussions on this.

> 4) I have installed a lot of small files on the internal 2GB card and ever
> since  see the unit doing "refreshing" very often and for a long while.  Is
> there any way to make this better.

You can disable metalayer-crawler0 but as mentioned, the later
firmware may help.

> 5) on bootup I notice (with a CPU monitoring applet) that the CPU is working
> at full blast.  I did a "top" in xterm to see who was taking so much CPU
> power and I found out that the culprit is 'metalayer-c'.  Any idea of who
> that is and why this happens?

See #4

> 6) has anyone succeeded in installing a firewall on the N800?  I could, of
> course, write a small script for iptables but its just not convenient to
> access the root account with ssh each time then run the ipables script.  Any
> better ideas?

There's no need for a firewall since there are no ports open to
exploit.  Windows machines need firewalls, not Linux tablets :-)

> 7) is there a car charger for the N800?

  It's possible to use a car charger intended for a Nokia phone with
the same (small) power tip as opposed to the older 3.5mm size.  It's
also possible to purchase an adapter to convert the larger tip to the
smaller type used by the n800.

> Ok. that's about it.  Sorry for the non-maemo linked questions & many thanks
> for any pointers,
>
> Andrei

  No problem.

Larry