kind of off-topic, but not completely: some questions about the N800

Some comments on 3rd party batter life and recharging below.

Larry Battraw wrote:
> On 4/2/07, andrei raevsky <raevsky.andrei at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2) Batteries: Nokia's documentation says that once the batteries are
>> charged
>> the unit should be disconnected (same thing for my Nokia phone,
>> BTW).  So
>> does that mean that overnight recharge is not an option?  Can/should
>> I run
>> the unit without a battery inside when/if I can?  The battery life of
>> the
>> unit (and of my Nokia phone) is, alas, rather short.  Has anyone tried
>> purchasing a non-Nokia battery for cheaper and possibly with a longer
>> battery life?
>
>  The notice about disconnecting is from an older era in batteries and
> is no longer applicable.  You can't run without a battery inside.
> It's really just gambling with your tablet to use non-Nokia batteries;
> some do it with success but it seems like battery life is not as much
> as you'd expect.

I purchased a CHEAP (I think $10 or $15) battery from eBay that was
nokia n800 compatible...on full charge I get at best 4 hours rather than
7 of nokia standard. Given it was so cheap this isn't a big deal.

>> 7) is there a car charger for the N800?
>
>  It's possible to use a car charger intended for a Nokia phone with
> the same (small) power tip as opposed to the older 3.5mm size.  It's
> also possible to purchase an adapter to convert the larger tip to the
> smaller type used by the n800.

I've found best solution is to use cigarette lighter to power either an
inverter (some come with usb plus 1 or 2 3-prong ac) or usb hub. Since
N800 isn't chargeable via usb (sigh) you need to get a converter on web
which turns usb (full) into mini-usb plus the nokia n800 power plug.
It's a tiny dongle.

mike