[maemo-users] [maemo-announce] New OS 2006 firmware released

I'd like to renew some thoughts I've already posted long time ago [1],
with no replies though.
In summary, why not using the Zero Install way (by Thomas Leonard, the man
behind ROX Desktop) as the preferred package repository system for the
Maemo platform?
I can't see disadvantages, other than for the developers to take the (very
little!) effort of packaging their apps as requested by Zero Install
before uploading them into the Maemo Garage, or into some other "official"
place reachable from the Tablet. Does it sounds unfeasible for some
reason? Don't you think e.g. this method would behave very nice when
reflashing? What about security? Would that method be less or more secure
(or the same) than installing apps from repositories added to the
Application Catalogue? Let me know, which are your thoughts about this?
Please convince me that this is not the way to go (I'm a beginner Linux
user, so probably there should be something I don't know which makes
evident to others this suggestion is unfeasible or not convenient).

[1] http://maemo.org/pipermail/maemo-developers/2006-November/006158.html

--
Antonio