[maemo-users] Battery Benchmarking?

Le mardi 09 janvier 2007 ? 15:41 +0200, Igor Stoppa a ?crit :
> On Tue, 2007-01-09 at 14:31 +0100, ext Frederic Crozat wrote:

> > > Yes, canola runs a webserver daemon.
> >
> > This short autonomy problem has been present before I installed
> > canola :)
> >
> > Anyway, I'll reflash my device and do more tests.
>
> Steps i used:
> -flash new sw
> -verify that r&d mode is off
> -verify that neither bluetooth nor wlan connections are active
> -close the cover
> -display set to default (half) brightness
> -battery fully charged (a 1300 mAh one)
> -close cover and let rest
>
> check once or twice (literally, not more than 2 times) per day that it's
> still alive
>
> due to variations in the components i might just have been lucky and
> measured 9 days, but the official statement says 7, iirc

I stand corrected and I apologize for my previous statement.

I just finished my tests, using your test scenario :
-I reflashed my 770 with last firmware
-I fully charged my 770 Thursday 01/11/2007
-I checked it two time per day (7h00 and 21h00)
-I ran out of battery between Friday 01/19/2007 7h00 and 21h00

So, it lasts 8 days.

I'll restore my previous backups (without the apps) and try to spot
which apps is eating battery so much (and I'll uninstall canola before
testing ;)

I guess one thing missing for outside developers (ie not Nokia one) is
an easy way to monitor their programs for power usage, specially when
device is supposed to be idle. Maybe qemu could be used to detect when
device is supposed to be idle and programs are still doing too much
thing on cpu..

One question regarding your test : you asked to check wlan (or
bluetooth) wasn't active. Unless I'm mistaken, by default, when cover is
closed, wlan is dropped, so it should not be a problem in the test
scenario above (except if user specifically ask for it not being dropped
when closing cover, which is possible with IT 2006) ?

PS : sorry, I first send this mail only to you by error, not the list :(
--
Fr?d?ric Crozat