[maemo-users] usb-storage.ko for the Nokia

On 4/11/06, Bob Lees <bob at diamond.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> I would echo David's original question, is there any reason why the OTG
> mode
> could not be used to switch from master to slave mode, driven from a
> command
> or voltage sensing on the 770.  After all as has been noted elsewhere the
> 770
> needs 5volts supply fed to it when in master mode so something in the 770
> is
> already sensing this.
>
> Or put another way why do we have to use flasher to switch USB modes?
>
> Bob

Hi Bob,

I would guess since they made the decision early on to not fully utilize the
USB host mode, they didn't put in the circuitry to condition their 3.7 V (as
Santeri just mentioned) up to an approriate 5 V. To save even more power the
don't even power the USB circuitry internally when the 770 is on.

So without it being powered, it can't be switched. That is why you need to
do it through the flasher since that supplies the power at the same time.

Now, having said that, I don't think that prevents someone knowledgeable
enough, who has some power-hacked hub, from also hacking together a utility
to use on the 770 to switch modes once that hub is connected. I would
imagine it would be low level kernel hacking though.

While I would love to see this utility, I would rather the Nokia devs spend
their time working on stability, fixing the apps they do ship and getting in
an update/install infrustructure that allows things like third-party kernel
modules first.

/Mike