[maemo-users] usb-storage.ko for the Nokia

On 4/11/06, David D. Hagood <wowbagger at sktc.net> wrote:
> Having switched my Nokia into USB master mode, and having hacked up a
> hub to provide power to the Nokia so that it will "see" the connection,
> I can now connect a USB storage device and the Nokia will scan it (I
> have a USB analyzer that shows me the traffic between the two).
>
> However, since the Nokia-supplied kernel does not have the USB storage
> module in place, it does nothing with the device - it cannot mount it as
> there is no block device created.

  Actually, usb-storage is built into the kernel, so there's no need
for a module.  If you're plugging things in and no device is being
created there are other issues causing it.

> On a related note - the OMAP1710 is a USB-on-the-Go device - it can
> switch roles and supply power. I wonder if the problem is that the
> kernel simply does not support the OtG mode, and when switched into
> master mode does not activate the power to the port, or did Nokia fail
> to hook up that hardware in the 770's implementation?

  As someone else mentioned, trying to source 5V for whatever random
device that might be plugged in is a bad idea.  Only the smallest
devices like keyboards/mice would really work well and it would all
have an impact on the battery life.  This way the onus is on an
external supply to provide all the power external hard drives, network
adapters, cd burners, and etc. might need :-)  I have a powered hub
with a SD card adapter, network adapter, keyboard, and 30G 2.5" HD
connected to it and they all work great.  The biggest headache was
building the kernel module for the (10/100) network adapter.

Larry