Re: lvmcache with vdo - inconsistent block size

Dne 14. 09. 20 v 23:44 Gionatan Danti napsal(a):
Hi all,
I am testing lvmcache with VDO and I have issue with devices block size.

The big & slow VDO device is on top of a 4-disk MD RAID 10 device (itself on top of dm-integrity). Over the VDO device I created a thinpool and a thinvol [1]. When adding the cache device to the volume group via vgextend, I get an error stating "Devices have inconsistent logical block sizes (4096 and 512)." [2]

Now, I know why the error shows and what i means. However, I don't know how to force the cache device to act as a 4k sector device, and/if this is really required to cache a VDO device.

My current workaround is to set VDO with --emulate512=enabled, but this can be suboptimal and it is not recommended.

Any idea on what I am doing wrong?

Hi

LVM currently does not support mixing devices of different sector sizes within
a single VG as it brings lot of troubles we have not yet clear vision what
to do with all of them.

Also this combination of provisioned devices is not advised - since you are combining 2 kind of devices on top of each other and it can be a big problem
to solve recovery case.

On lvm2 side we do not allow to use 'VDO LV' as backend for thin-pool device.

So ATM it's on a user to solve all the possible scenarios that may appear on
such device stack.

Zdenek