Re: hp dc7900

Hi Grzegorz,

Please keep the list in Cc.

On Sun, 16 Mar 2014 11:33:51 +0100, Grzegorz Sójka wrote:
> On 03/14/14 07:53, Jean Delvare wrote:
> > I think we've seen this ID many times in the past, but we don't know
> > what chip it is and/or we don't have a datasheet. If you can have a
> > physical look at the board and find the chip name, that would be a
> > start.
> The is a lot of tiny chips on the MB so small that its extremely
> difficult to read the symbols (without disassemble). What should I look for?

The Super-I/O shouldn't be that small, actually it is generally one of
the largest chips on the board. You'd be looking for a chip with "SMSC"
clearly readable on top of it, like:
http://i00.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/559896002/IC_CHIP_LPC47N350_NE_SMSC_QFP.jpg_220x220.jpg

> > Not all LPC chips include hardware monitoring features though.
> The PSU and CPU fans speeds are controlled according to CPU and PSU
> temperatures. There is even a king of simple adjustment in the BIOS.
> According to the specs both sense and controlling signals of the PSU fan
> are connected directly to the MB. So there is some electronics on the MB
> capable of measuring temperatures and adjusting fan speeds and probably
> measuring fan speeds.

OK, that's thin, but that's a start.

> > Does the BIOS display any fan speed on this system?
> The BIOS does not show any temp or fan readings. Although, the machine
> supports remote management via intel vPro. Is is possible that sensors
> are only exposed to remote management hardware??

Everything is possible.

--
Jean Delvare
SUSE L3 Support