Re: lmsensors doesn't detect core-i7 sensors

On Sat, Sep 04, 2010 at 11:55:29AM -0400, Jean Delvare wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Sep 2010 07:25:34 -0700, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> > Jean,
> >
> > On Sat, Sep 04, 2010 at 09:49:42AM -0400, Jean Delvare wrote:
> > > Guenter,

> > > Actually it doesn't:
> > >
> > > 		print "Copy prog/init/lm_sensors.init to /etc/init.d/lm_sensors\n".
> > > 		      "for initialization at boot time.\n"
> > > 			unless -f "/etc/init.d/lm_sensors";
> > >
> > > So the message isn't printed if there is already a script there.
> > >
> > > In Mahmood's case, the script is named /etc/init.d/lm-sensors instead,
> > > so the message would be printed, but running the suggested command
> > > would _not_ overwrite the file. Not sure what happens where both
> > > scripts are present though...
> > >
> > Problem is two-fold:
> > 1) People will/may remove lm-sensors anyway, being intelligent and assuming
> >    this is what they should do.
> > 2) lm_sensors doesn't work with Ubuntu anyway, since /etc/init.d/functions
> >    does not exist.
> >
> > > So I would suggest that we simply extend the test to:
> > >
> > > 			unless -f "/etc/init.d/lm_sensors"
> > > 			    or -f "/etc/init.d/lm-sensors";
> > >
> > > Would that be OK with you?
> > >
> > Yes.
>
> Hmmm. The problem is that there's more than /etc/init.d/lm_sensors. We
> also have /etc/modprobe.d/lm_sensors.conf and /etc/sysconfig/lm_sensors.
> More generally, "lm_sensors" is the service name here, if a
> distribution changes /etc/init.d/lm_sensors to /etc/init.d/lm-sensors,
> I expect them to be consistent and change to "lm-sensors" everywhere.
>
> Debian uses "lm-sensors" for the service name for some time now, but
> they don't use sysconfig, so we didn't care. If we now have
> distributions using sysconfig _and_ not using the standard "lm_sensors"
> name for the service, sensors-detect would have to be a lot smarter.
>
> Or we can see it the other way around: sensors-detect assumes that the
> service is named "lm_sensors", if distributions can't stick to that,
> it's their pain, not ours. What's the point of diverging from us on the
> service name after all?
>
> Note that the lm_sensors.init script we ship _does_ assume that the
> service is named "lm_sensors". So just updating sensors-detect wouldn't
> be enough.
>
> > Another question is if we can get rid of the inclusion of /etc/init.d/functions.
> > I browsed through the code, but don't immediately see which functions
> > are used from it, and if they can be replaced. What do you think ?
>
> openSUSE doesn't have this file either. I presume it is included for
> echo_warning, echo_success and echo_failure.
>
> Do what you want with the script. Me, I don't want to spend one single
> minute on it.

Having second thoughts there, given all the complexity involved.

> > > If you have a better proposal, I'm listening. The only alternative I
> > > have in mind is to get rid of the message altogether and delete the
> > > init script from our repository, leaving integration up to each
> > > distribution (which at least openSUSE and derivatives already do.)
> > >
> > Removing it sounds like overkill to me. After all, it _does_
> > provide value (when it works). Maybe we should do the above,
> > and spend some time getting it to work w/ Ubuntu given its
> > distribution. I should be able to do that.
>
> Where does it work? All distributions I know of, ship their own

Good question ...

> initialization script. There are so many dependencies (as you just
> found out) and conventions (e.g. service naming, as you just found out
> as well) involved, we can't make everyone happy.
>
> The initialization script is only useful to people installing
> lm-sensors from the sources on distributions which do not have
> it already installed via a package. There aren't many doing that these
> days, I think. And these can probably just add a couple modprobe lines
> in a custom init script, as sensors-detect suggests. lm_sensors isn't
> really a service, there's no daemon running (unless you throw sensord
> into the game) so stopping it is totally optional.

Maybe the best approach is to not (try to) install it at all, but just provide
it as hint. Or maybe check if /etc/init.d/lm-sensors exists, and if it does
don't install anything at all.

The shared library locations are yet another problem. Not sure how to address
that either.

Guenter