ticket# 1649 - i2c-viapro fails to load

On Fri, Apr 16, 2004 at 09:49:34AM +0200, Jean Delvare wrote:
> > You know whats interesting? All this time, i've been using the
> > official Fedora rpm packages!! i've got the original 2.8.1 which
> > came with Fedora Core 1, all up to and including 2.8.6 which can be
> > downloaded from Fedora's development directory.

Red Hat updates only the user land unfortunately ... :(
(but that's OK for 2.6)

> > I've also uninstalled lm_sensors as a package, searched for all
> > sensor files and libraries just to make sure no traces of old files
> > are left behind, and re-installed the latest 2.8.6 package all over
> > again.
> >
> > Even though i've done all that, i still end up with old it87.o :(
> >
> > Does it mean the packages generated by Fedora/Redhat are broken?

Yes. :(

> First, you have to pay attention that there are two parts in the
> lm_sensors project:
> 1* Kernel modules
> 2* User-space tools.
>
> All distributions that include lm_sensors have *two* distinct packages
> for these. In some (most) cases the kernel modules are part of the
> kernel package, while the user-space tools are in a lm-sensors package.
> So I suspect that you have been upgrading only the lm-sensors package,
> and *not* the kernel package, while you should have done that as well.

Unfortunately Red Hat has a policy of either patching it into the
kernel or not at all, e.g. there are no externally built kernel module
rpms from Red Hat for any of its products/projects. 3rd party repos
OTOH have been doing this for ages now.

Since Red Hat has not updated the i2c subsystem in FC1's kernel rpms
(2.6.1/20010830), you need to get i2c 2.8.x enabled kernels first
anyway. Red Hat's lm_sensors' version in the kernel is a bit younger,
but still ancient (2.6.5/20020915). The userland bits coming with FC1
are rather fresh, 2.8.1, but that doesn't really help if the kernel
has no support.

> So you should try upgrading kernels and see how it goes.
>
> If you can't get it to work, you may want to give a try to Axel Thimm's
> packages:
> Userspace tools at http://atrpms.net/name/lm_sensors/
> Kernels at http://atrpms.net/name/kernel/

This is the only packaged way of getting lm_sensors 2.8.x running on
(released) Red Hat distributions. And if you wait for half an hour you
can get a "2179" derived kernel and kernel modules, which include the
latest security fixes from Red Hat.

Xairetismata/Greetings.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net