sysfs names

> It'd be nice if the driver could provide a parameter to the
> sysfs show() and store() routines... i.e.
>
> static ssize_t show_temp(struct device *dev, char *buf, int param);
>
> DEVICE_ATTR(temp1_input, S_IRUGO, show_temp, NULL, 1)
> DEVICE_ATTR(temp2_input, S_IRUGO, show_temp, NULL, 2)
> DEVICE_ATTR(temp3_input, S_IRUGO, show_temp, NULL, 3)

Much like what we had in 2.4. And this was Good.

> .. and so on.  Then we could end the blizzard of tiny helper
> functions and the macro abuse.  Try 'nm --size-sort w83781d.o'
> some time for an illustration.

Oh well, I didn't need nm to tell me what of a mess it is inside.
Looking at the code was enough. When you come to use macros to define
functions, there *must* be something wrong in your code design.

> But, I can't see a way to do this without forcing a massive
> rewrite of all sysfs-enabled drivers - oh well.

Sad but probably true. Still I'd like to hear Greg about what it would
take to do so, and if there is a chance that this happens in 2.7.

--
Jean Delvare
http://www.ensicaen.ismra.fr/~delvare/