sysfs names

Greg KH wrote:

> That would be me.  See the archives for what I propsed, and why I
> did it.  Of course I can't remember what I said back then, and no
> one seemed to disagree...

I don't think I was reading you back then. Shame on me.

Philip Pokorny wrote:

> I believe that Jean is proposing switching from:
>
>   temp_max1
>   temp_min1
>   temp1

>    temp1_max
>    temp1_min
>    temp1
>
> So there still won't be multiple values in one "file", but the
> filenames will sort naturally into groupings similar to the way
> they were before.

That's the idea (except that it's temp_input1 -> temp1_input, not
temp1).

At the time it was decided to switch to a one-file-per-value logic (and
I agree it was a good idea), it would have been clever to use the
library's symbol names as the files names. For one thing, it would
simplify the libsensors tweaks we do these days. For another, it means
that the future libsensors would be more simple as well (symbols in
sensors.conf would point to the similarly-named sysfs name).

Left apart the fact that temp1_min (for example) is how symbols were
named from the beginning, please also consider the fact that, as
underlined by Philip, the files will then group in a much more natural
way (in my opinion at least).

I also think that we will need to extend the scheme if we want the
sysfs
interface to be truly chip-independant. For example, temp1_hyst is
ambiguous, since you don't know which limit the hysteresis value applies
to (more likely temp1_max, but for example in lm83 it applies to
temp1_crit). So it would be better named temp1_max_hyst (resp.
temp1_crit_hyst). Likewise, alarms are still chip-dependant and we
could consider having files like temp1_max_alarm instead, much like
Reinhard Nissl proposes in the new fscher chip driver.

To make it short, I'm worried by the fact that the new sysfs interface
promises so many possibilities and we don't use them to their full
potential. This is what motivates my call for an interface change.

Thanks.

--
Jean Delvare
http://www.ensicaen.ismra.fr/~delvare/