sysfs names

On Mon, Jan 26, 2004 at 11:04:47PM +0100, Jean Delvare wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The more I work with new sysfs names, the more I wonder why the naming
> scheme was chosen the way it is. We had features named
> but I definitely prefer the old naming scheme. It was much more logical,
> since "ls" would order them in a very logical way (grouping by type and
> sub-grouping by "physical entity").

So can you give me an example of what you want to change?

> What's more, the libsensors tweaks would be much more simple if we had
> stuck to the old scheme. Most of the required conversions are just
> moving from old scheme to new scheme with no other change.

We had other problems with the old scheme (multiple values per files
being the biggest.)

> Since the sysfs interface is obviously still not stabilized and we are
> still on early 2.6 kernels, I think we should consider moving back to
> the "old" names for the sake of consistency, beauty and logic.
>
> Greg, don't look at me that way please. I am serious!

Heh, sorry for not getting back to you on this, been real busy lately...

> I know this is quite an important change, but precisely, we'd better
> change before porting the missing 30 chip drivers than after. I know how
> much work it will be - especially since I'll obviously be the one to
> cope with it - still I think we should do it.
>
> Comments, thunder and rocks welcome ;)
> Thanks.
>
> NB: May I know the name of the brilliant chooser of the new naming
> scheme? Not to blame him/her (oh well... ;)) but to know the reasons of
> his/her choice.

That would be me.  See the archives for what I propsed, and why I did
it.  Of course I can't remember what I said back then, and no one seemed
to disagree...

thanks,

greg k-h