Search Linux Wireless

Re: SoftMAC vs FullMAC

On Sunday 04 February 2007 19:31, Jon Smirl wrote:
> On 2/4/07, Pavel Roskin <proski@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > In fact, Atheros chips are not that intelligent to be treated as FullMAC, but
> > going to d80211 removes many chip specific features.
>
> What types of features are removed? For example Atheros turbo mode can
> be treated like another PHY layer implementation.
>
> If it is just off-loading the implementation of standard behavior then
> we may actually be better off ignoring this capability and
> implementing the standard behavior in the host.
>
> It's not even clear to me that doing encryption is a wireless
> co-processor is a win. It is almost certain that the host can perform
> the same algorithms many times faster that an embedded wireless
> processor.  Moving encryption onto the host reduces the latency of the
> connection.

If creating and uploading the keys to the device is less work than
doing crypto in software, then it is clearly a win.
And that _is_ the case for bcm43xx (at least. I don't know about other
devices' hwcrypto capabilities).
Doing less on the CPU and more in hw is always a win. I'm not sure
how you can say that you're not sure it is. ;)

Additionally, doing crypto in the RX path (tasklet context) is
not really optimal, from a latency point of view.

But you can test it yourself. Enable/disable hwcrypto and watch how
CPU load in "top" reacts.

I did a quick test on my powerbook and software interrupt load
decreases from about 30% to about 10% when switching from swcrypto
to hwcrypto. I'd call that a significant win. And this 20% decrease
is just the RX path. TX is done in process context (I think).

--
Greetings Michael.
-