integrating user-space drivers and Intel WiMAX network service

On Sat, 2010-02-27 at 20:20 +0300, Alexander Gordeev wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 10:33:17 -0800
> Inaky Perez-Gonzalez <inaky.perez-gonzalez at intel.com> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2010-02-26 at 04:47 -0800, Alexander Gordeev wrote:

> > > Yes, this is most likely an index in some internal table in modem's
> > > firmware.

> > > Well, I quite understand you. :)
> > > I don't remember when and why we first called this "SSID" so it's a
> > > jargon word in this case.
> >
> > Sorry :/ I should have known...
>
> No problem. I'm not good in WiMAX terminology in fact.
> BTW do VNO and NSP ID mean the same? Maybe you can point me to some
> good overview of these terms? I've found this thread:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/wimax at linuxwimax.org/msg00735.html
>
> It tells that there are 3 entities: NAP, NSP and VNO. So "@yota.ru"
> is a VNO? Interesting...

> > > Too bad but I still don't know how to do this. :(
> > > The official client software doesn't request any scan operations.
> > > Firmware disassembling showed that it is possible but we still can't
> > > make it work.
> >
> > Well, then this would be stubbed -- hi, I take scan operations and I
> > only fake a of a single network.
> >
> > Do you have a way to detect network presence?
>
> Well, sort of. I can try to connect. :)
> BTW the connect operation splits in two parts:
>  * sync to the BS (i.e. connect to NAP)
>  * negotiate about the connection (i.e. connect to NSP)
>
> These are two separate requests. But I don't gather any additional info
> between them. Dunno if this can help.

> > > Same thing here. Firmware disassembling showed a lot of
> > > possibilities but we don't know how to use them.
> >
> > Then it can be reported as always on. Not a problem, although ugly for
> > management purposes.
>
> Ok.

> > > Seems there is no way to set NAP ID currently. EAP auth data is
> > > what we discussed above and there is also a request to connect to
> > > network.
> >
> > Actually, I meant NSP, or a VNO...so when you tell it to connect, you
> > don't have to specify any NSP ID? just "connect" and it figures it out
> > and then uses the realm in EAP to select a VNO? Interesting...
>
> Right, I only send "@yota.ru" and start to connect.

So I've got my dongle now (thanks!).  Do the Yota drivers have some sort
of file of accepted NAPs?  Obviously in Windows the Yota connect program
doesn't find Clear (the local 2.5GHz WiMAX provider) but what I'd like
to know is whether that's a limitation of the Windows connection manager
or whether the device needs to be told to look for a different provider.
Any idea?  I'll be poking around with it in Linux pretty soon.

Dan

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux Wireless]     [Linux Bluetooth]     [Linux Netdev]     [Linux Kernel Newbies]     [IDE]     [Security]     [Git]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite News]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux Security]     [Linux RAID]     [Linux ATA RAID]     [Samba]     [Video 4 Linux]     [Device Mapper]