integrating user-space drivers and Intel WiMAX network service

Hello Alexander

On Sun, 2010-02-07 at 03:55 -0700, Alexander Gordeev wrote:

> I'm the author of madwimax (http://code.google.com/p/madwimax/). I was
> thinking about the future of my project :) and it seems that the only
> way forward is to integrate it into the Linux-wimax stack somehow:
>
>  * by porting drivers to the kernel
>
> It's good but it will effectively prevent people from using drivers on
> some wireless routers with an old 2.4 kernel which is very popular now.

Geee .. 2.4 :)

>  * by allowing user-space drivers to be managed by Intel WiMAX network
>    service
>
> Is there any opportunity for this? AFAIK, it uses D-Bus, so adding some
> D-Bus interface for user-space drivers would be not very hard, right?

Well, this code is extremely Intel specific and the long term plan would
be to ditch it in favor of a generic service. However, that is currently
in the "until somebody has time to work on it", as no other devices are
coming forward with need for support.

That said, it'd be extremely difficult to modify it to work with your
driver. How high is the mad driver in the stack level? Does it connect
to NAPs or to NSPs?

Thank you!

--
-- Inaky

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux Wireless]     [Linux Bluetooth]     [Linux Netdev]     [Linux Kernel Newbies]     [IDE]     [Security]     [Git]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite News]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux Security]     [Linux RAID]     [Linux ATA RAID]     [Samba]     [Video 4 Linux]     [Device Mapper]