integrating user-space drivers and Intel WiMAX network service

Hi Inaky,

On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 14:47:31 -0800
Inaky Perez-Gonzalez <inaky.perez-gonzalez at intel.com> wrote:

> Hello Alexander
>
> On Sun, 2010-02-07 at 03:55 -0700, Alexander Gordeev wrote:
>
> > I'm the author of madwimax (http://code.google.com/p/madwimax/). I
> > was thinking about the future of my project :) and it seems that
> > the only way forward is to integrate it into the Linux-wimax stack
> > somehow:
> >
> >  * by porting drivers to the kernel
> >
> > It's good but it will effectively prevent people from using drivers
> > on some wireless routers with an old 2.4 kernel which is very
> > popular now.
>
> Geee .. 2.4 :)

Kudos goes to Broadcom and their binary blobs :)

> >  * by allowing user-space drivers to be managed by Intel WiMAX
> > network service
> >
> > Is there any opportunity for this? AFAIK, it uses D-Bus, so adding
> > some D-Bus interface for user-space drivers would be not very hard,
> > right?
>
> Well, this code is extremely Intel specific and the long term plan
> would be to ditch it in favor of a generic service. However, that is
> currently in the "until somebody has time to work on it", as no other
> devices are coming forward with need for support.

OK, thanks for this info!
Then the user-space port will only remain for wireless routers and
we'll move to the kernel.

> That said, it'd be extremely difficult to modify it to work with your
> driver. How high is the mad driver in the stack level? Does it connect
> to NAPs or to NSPs?

Well, from what I've seen so far the dongle supports only connecting to
NSPs. :( This device is still a black box. However, other devices are
coming.

--
  Alexander