integrating user-space drivers and Intel WiMAX network service

On Sat, 2010-02-27 at 20:20 +0300, Alexander Gordeev wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 10:33:17 -0800
> Inaky Perez-Gonzalez <inaky.perez-gonzalez at intel.com> wrote:
>
> ... [snipped a lot]...
> > >
> > > Well, I quite understand you. :)
> > > I don't remember when and why we first called this "SSID" so it's a
> > > jargon word in this case.
> >
> > Sorry :/ I should have known...
>
> No problem. I'm not good in WiMAX terminology in fact.
> BTW do VNO and NSP ID mean the same? Maybe you can point me to some
> good overview of these terms? I've found this thread:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/wimax at linuxwimax.org/msg00735.html
>
> It tells that there are 3 entities: NAP, NSP and VNO. So "@yota.ru"
> is a VNO? Interesting...

Well, a NAP is the base station your device connects to, the hardware
itself so to speak. The NSP is the connectivity provider which link you
upstream to the network of the VNO. The VNO is the "final" ISP, so to
speak.

In many cases, the NSP and the VNO are the same entity, or the NSP can
be reselling it's service to different VNOs, they can be sharing the
same network, etc. The NAPs can be different entities which subscribe
agreements with one or more NSPs to provide 'last mile' connectivity.

In the case of Yota, I don't know details, but maybe they are all the
same entity.

> > > Too bad but I still don't know how to do this. :(
> > > The official client software doesn't request any scan operations.
> > > Firmware disassembling showed that it is possible but we still can't
> > > make it work.
> >
> > Well, then this would be stubbed -- hi, I take scan operations and I
> > only fake a of a single network.
> >
> > Do you have a way to detect network presence?
>
> Well, sort of. I can try to connect. :)
> BTW the connect operation splits in two parts:
>  * sync to the BS (i.e. connect to NAP)
>  * negotiate about the connection (i.e. connect to NSP)
>
> These are two separate requests. But I don't gather any additional info
> between them. Dunno if this can help.

I see

> > > Seems there is no way to set NAP ID currently. EAP auth data is
> > > what we discussed above and there is also a request to connect to
> > > network.
> >
> > Actually, I meant NSP, or a VNO...so when you tell it to connect, you
> > don't have to specify any NSP ID? just "connect" and it figures it out
> > and then uses the realm in EAP to select a VNO? Interesting...
>
> Right, I only send "@yota.ru" and start to connect.

Ok, should not be to difficult then to fit in to an interface on the
shape defined above. A higher level interface would take care, at user
space level, of selecting the right VNO to pass in EAP information
depending on how the network likes it.

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux Wireless]     [Linux Bluetooth]     [Linux Netdev]     [Linux Kernel Newbies]     [IDE]     [Security]     [Git]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite News]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux Security]     [Linux RAID]     [Linux ATA RAID]     [Samba]     [Video 4 Linux]     [Device Mapper]