integrating user-space drivers and Intel WiMAX network service

Sorry for the delay...

? Tue, 09 Feb 2010 13:49:53 -0800
Inaky Perez-Gonzalez <inaky.perez-gonzalez at intel.com> ?????:

> On Tue, 2010-02-09 at 15:29 +0300, Alexander Gordeev wrote:
> > Hi Inaky,
> >
> > On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 14:47:31 -0800
> > Inaky Perez-Gonzalez <inaky.perez-gonzalez at intel.com> wrote:

> > > Geee .. 2.4 :)
> >
> > Kudos goes to Broadcom and their binary blobs :)

> > > Well, this code is extremely Intel specific and the long term plan
> > > would be to ditch it in favor of a generic service. However, that
> > > is currently in the "until somebody has time to work on it", as
> > > no other devices are coming forward with need for support.
> >
> > OK, thanks for this info!
> > Then the user-space port will only remain for wireless routers and
> > we'll move to the kernel.
> >
> > > That said, it'd be extremely difficult to modify it to work with
> > > your driver. How high is the mad driver in the stack level? Does
> > > it connect to NAPs or to NSPs?
> >
> > Well, from what I've seen so far the dongle supports only
> > connecting to NSPs. :( This device is still a black box. However,
> > other devices are coming.
>
> Can you give an outline of the HCI of the device? We need to design a
> new kernel API for managing NSP-based devices then. The one I have in
> the op_nap_scan branchs is for NAP-level devices.

Well, it sends and receives data through two bulk pipes. Sending and
receiving data is asynchronous. I.e. one can send n request and then
receive n responses. Requests and responses look like this most of the
time: header, major number, minor number, data length, data. Response
always has the same major number as the request and minor number is
requests minor + 1. So you don't have to keep requests to analyze

Initially my driver reads some valuable info like MAC-address, chip and
firmware info, authentication method (this means in fact two values:
auth policy = 0x22 and auth method = 2 - and I don't know what these
values mean). Than it sets SSID to connect to (@yota.ru usually) and
tries to connect. When it passes states SYNC->NEGO->NORMAL the
associated tap interface is enabled and you can start to send packets.

Packets look like this: header, full Ethernet frame. One packet always
goes in one bulk transfer.

Of course, this is not a full description. There are other small
details.

--
  Alexander