Re: USB-OTG enabled phone mount desktop partitions via USB port

杨苏立 Yang Su Li wrote:
> > Doesn't the controller come on a PCI card?  That's all you need.  What
> > else does the evaluation board have?
>
> Unfortunately the USB controller doesn't come on a PCI card (to my surprise).

Correct.

> I guess I would have to get an evaluation board
> (http://www.semiconductorstore.com/cart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=6697)
> in order to "plug and play" this thing.

The link is for the controller product, which is only the chip itself.

Indeed an evaluation board is what you want in order to plug and play.

> However, this product is for NET2280EVB-SW, while the one they are
> selling is NET2280EVB-LF. I am not quite sure if there's any
> significant different between these two models? Can I just get
> NET2280EVB-LF, plug it into a PCI slot in my desktop, and use it?

Yes, NET2280EVB-LF is the evaluation board, a PCI card which plugs
into your PC. See image here:
http://www.semiconductorstore.com/pages/asp/DownloadAttachment.asp?d=69676&e=i

Googling NET2280EVB-SW finds
http://www.plxtech.com/pdf/usb/NcApi_Vs_NcFwApi.pdf which explains:

"NET2280 firmware development software is available from PLX as
“NET2280EVB-SW”. This software applies to the NET2280 EVB and RDK
boards."

Linux replaces the function of that firmware development software.

> I am sorry I am asking questions which should really be answered by
> the PLX tech support.

I guess maybe their sales people would be more willing to respond,
tech support at hardware vendors is usually for problems at (already
paying) customers doing some hardware development and wanting to buy
thousands or millions of controllers.

Get the eval board while you still can. I noticed that the controller
is going end-of-life in two months.

//Peter