Re: more than 255 usbserial interfaces

On Thu, Jun 07, 2012 at 04:50:25PM -0300, Italo Migotto wrote:
> Hi,
>
> right now I have approximately 50 USB devices plugged into my server,
> and together they create more than 250 serial interfaces in the system
> (up to 5 /dev/ttyUSBXX each), the problem is that I need to plug some
> more and it seems I´ve reached the limit of 255 interfaces, so my
> question is:
>
> is there a way to increase that limit? Or, if there isn´t, can I
> remove the unused interfaces somehow? I only access one of these 5 for
> each device, not really sure if the other 4 are necessary.

Wow, you are the first person that I know of, in the past 14 years of
the usb serial code, that has hit this max number, nice job :)

I can increment the number to be larger, but what is the correct number
to move to?

I guess I can just make it dynamic, which should give you 4k minors (I
think, I can't recall the minor max number at the moment, it probably is
bigger.)  If anyone else wants to send in patches doing this before I
get a chance to (which might be a while), I'd be glad to accept them.

thanks,

greg k-h