Re: [RFC] xhci: Let completion handlers run before rings are restarted.

On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 2:15 AM, Pete Batard <pete@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>>     My suggestion is that you allow nominations for maintainer addition
>>     or removal from the community through the libusbx mailing list.
>>     When someone seconds a nomination, everyone on the list should send
>>     a private yay or nay vote to an unaffiliated third party, like Greg
>>     KH.  That third party should have the rights to add or revoke commit
>>     access to the libusbx repository, so you can avoid the case where
>>     the last-standing maintainer doesn't want to remove themselves.  You
>>     could probably just copy the Debian community voting model.
>
> I don't have any objection to that model. External impartial arbitration is
> what has been sorely missed on the libusb project. Also, from having had to
> step in as a libusbx maintainer against my will, I definitely wouldn't mind
> being booted out of the position by a neutral third party, as it'd free up a
> lot of my time... ;)
>
> I'll have to check with the other maintainers, but I really see no objection
> granting Greg or Alan or any other trusted third party complete
> administrative access to the libusbx project, to ensure a repeat of libusb
> can never occur.

As Sarah mentioned, libusb is an important part of the ecosystem,
so I have no objection to grant Alan Stern, Greg KH and Tim Roberts
the power.

>>  3. How have Linux distros reacted to the libusbx fork?
>
> As was pointed out, Fedora is due to switch to libusbx and Debian is going
> to switch in Wheezy as well, as you already found out [2]. Hopefully, there
> are a few more to be publicly announced, but we haven't really had a chance
> to follow closely on what the various distribution's plans are.
>
>>     Are they
>>     providing both packages and marking that one conflicts with the
>>     other, or are they dropping libusb in favor of libusbx
>
> For the two distros above, it is the latter.
>
>>     I see a note in the mailing list
>>     archives that Debian straight switched to libusbx, but how are the
>>     other Linux distros reacting?
>
> That's what we're curious about too. Right now, we're concentrating on
> making sure that we avoid the pitfalls of libusb and produce a quality
> library, that distros can have the confidence to switch to and not look
> back. But what they decide is really up to them.

Debian and Ubuntu libusb maintainer are the same person. I think
it will be soon that Ubuntu switches too.

Arch Linux: still under discussion
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/29999

>>  4. (This is really just my opinion, feel free to ignore it.)
>>     Would you consider a rename of the project?  libusbx looks like a
>>     misspelling of libusb to me, and since they are both sourceforge
>>     projects, it's very easy to confuse or mistype the mailing list
>>     address.
>

> The funny thing is that I personally would also have preferred (and proposed
> at the time) something other than libusbx, which I also wasn't thrilled
> about. My main concern was with ensuring that people looking for libusb
> would also get search results that mentioned the fork, which logically meant
> using a dash or or a breakable suffix in the fork name. Also, one
> consideration is that the original libusb, currently uses a 1.0 API as well
> as v1.0.x for versioning, and may therefore still want to reserve the
> libusb-2.0 name for a future evolution. We are trying to compete fairly,
> thus, hijacking libusb-2.0 could probably be considered a dirty tactic, as,
> outside of additional information, users will naturally prefer 2.0 over 1.0,
> regardless of the quality of the content.
>
> If there's a majority preference for a specific name, or a strong dislike of
> libusbx, we can of course look into picking a different name.

I think the name is not that bad and it is a bit difficult to change the
name now that the infrastructure is there: libusbx.org domain name,
Sourceforge project page, mailing list, and probably more importantly
Linux distro's package name.

I think we should change the name later, say after finishing 1.0.13
release and when switching to 2.0.

--
Xiaofan