Re: Please upgrade the driver for Sierra Wireless USB-to-WWAN modems from the manufacturer's website

On 6 June 2012 17:37, Bjørn Mork <bjorn@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Tom Cassidy <tomas.cassidy@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> I've submitted my first attempt at a patch for this.  I just copied
>> the relevant lines for this specific device ID from the sierra.c
>> driver provided by SierraWireless on their website.  I tested it on my
>> machine running Ubuntu 12.04 with the 3.2.0-24-generic kernel.
>
> Ah, right.  I didn't think about the serial driver.  Did you test the
> sierra_net driver as well?

I didn't touch anything on the sierra_net driver during my testing.  I
did take a look at sierra_net.c when I was updating the serial driver,
but I missed the part that contains the device IDs, so I then ignored
the file completely.  Now that I've seen it there, I think I must have
had a different version of sierra_net loaded when I was doing my
testing with the sierra serial driver, left over from when I was
testing both drivers from the SierraWireless website.

I tested again with a standard Ubuntu kernel, and I was unable to get
the device to connect to the Telstra network using just an updated
sierra serial driver.  I then applied your patch to the sierra_net.c
and was able to connect to connect to the Telstra network after

FYI, I have been doing all my testing using DKMS with the Makefile
from the drivers provided by SierraWireless, as I thought this was
easier than attempting to compile a completely new kernel.  Please let
me know if there is anything wrong with this method of testing the
drivers.  I did update the version string on each driver .c file, and
checked that with modinfo once the drivers were installed by dkms, so
I was sure that the new drivers were being used in my testing.