Re: Please upgrade the driver for Sierra Wireless USB-to-WWAN modems from the manufacturer's website

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 12:05 AM, Dan Williams <dcbw@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-02-27 at 16:28 -0800, Greg KH wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 11:21:04AM +1100, Tom Cassidy wrote:
>> > I have a Sierra Wireless 320U USB-to-WWAN modem that does not work with the
>> > current sierra and sierra_net drivers included in the Linux kernel.  The
>> > manufacturer has an updated driver available from their website at
>> > http://mycusthelp.net/SIERRAWIRELESS/_cs/AnswerDetail.aspx?aid=44
>> >
>> > My modem device works after installing this updated driver.  I tested using the
>> > current Ubuntu-precise development release with the mainline kernel release
>> > 3.3.0-030300rc5-generic from
>> > http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v3.3-rc5-precise/
>> >
>> > The driver versions in linux-3.3-rc5 are:
>> > sierra: v.1.7.16
>> > sierra_net: v.2.0
>> >
>> > The driver versions for the updated drivers from Sierra Wireless are:
>> > sierra: v.1.7.40
>> > sierra_net: v.3.2
>> >
>> > The direct link to the updated driver is at
>> > http://www.sierrawireless.com/resources/support/drivers/linux/v3.2_1740_kernel-3.0.directIP.tar
>>
>> Care to ask the sierra wireless developers to send us patches to achive
>> this?  I can't grab a tarball from a web site and just blindly apply it
>> to the kernel tree, that might not work.
>
> Looks like a few more supported USB IDs, some autopm fixes, and some
> IPv6 fixes in sierra_net.  Not too complicated a merge for Sierra to do,
> I think.
>
> Dan

I have submitted patches that integrates these drivers.

The driver builds, I have not tested with a device though.

Since this is my first non-trivial patch - please let me know if I
have made some mistake.

Thanks

Autif