Re: Please upgrade the driver for Sierra Wireless USB-to-WWAN modems from the manufacturer's website

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 11:21:04AM +1100, Tom Cassidy wrote:
> I have a Sierra Wireless 320U USB-to-WWAN modem that does not work with the
> current sierra and sierra_net drivers included in the Linux kernel.  The
> manufacturer has an updated driver available from their website at
> http://mycusthelp.net/SIERRAWIRELESS/_cs/AnswerDetail.aspx?aid=44
>
> My modem device works after installing this updated driver.  I tested using the
> current Ubuntu-precise development release with the mainline kernel release
> 3.3.0-030300rc5-generic from
> http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v3.3-rc5-precise/
>
> The driver versions in linux-3.3-rc5 are:
> sierra: v.1.7.16
> sierra_net: v.2.0
>
> The driver versions for the updated drivers from Sierra Wireless are:
> sierra: v.1.7.40
> sierra_net: v.3.2
>
> The direct link to the updated driver is at
> http://www.sierrawireless.com/resources/support/drivers/linux/v3.2_1740_kernel-3.0.directIP.tar

Care to ask the sierra wireless developers to send us patches to achive
this?  I can't grab a tarball from a web site and just blindly apply it
to the kernel tree, that might not work.

thanks,

greg k-h