Re: Huawei E372 12d1:1506 reports itself as E398

Bjørn Mork wrote:
> Martin Mokrejs <mmokrejs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> Although I can assign wwan0 interface an IP address I somehow cannot connect to anywhere in
>> the world. So, I have to assign an IP back to ppp0 interface to get on the network.
>> I would hope I do have to provide the gprs username and password for the wwan0
>> interface as they are the defaults I think on the SIM card already. Googling around for some
>> manual how to configure wwan connection did not help much yet. Everything leads to to wvdial
>> and other and looks all is PPP-based stuff, actually.
>
> You need QMI tools to use this.  The best alternative at the moment is
> Aleksander Morgado's libqmi-glib:
> http://gitorious.org/lanedo/libqmi-glib
>
> The cli/qmicli utility there can start and stop the connection, or you
> can use the utils/qmi-network frontend script to avoid typing all the
> options.  After the connection is started, the wwan0 interface should be
> configured using DHCP (chances are high that the modem will refuse to
> forward anything until after it has seen a DHCP request).
>
> Eventually all this will hopefully be nicely integrated in ModemManager
> so that you don't have to think about any of it.  But we're not quite
> there yet.  It's all pretty new, given that the prerequisite driver
> first appears in 3.4 :-)

I haven't managed to get the wwan0 really working yet but it seems that my
modem crashes if I have an IP address assigned to wwan0 interface and the
interface is UP while I want to use ppp connection. The modem connects when
asked by pppd, receives an IP via DHCP, and connection works for about 30 sec.
Then it probably wants to negotiate something and "crashes?" (LED goes from
cyan to dark blue).
I found out if I do "ifconfig wan0 down" before starting pppd the connection
is stable for hours. Probably the USM modem is fooled when having both interfaces
enabled. I did not have these problems before because I did not fiddle with wwan.
;) Should only either one interface be exposed by modem's firmware? Should
userspace tools treat them mutually exclusive interfaces?

Martin