Re: Huawei E372 12d1:1506 reports itself as E398

Martin Mokrejs <mmokrejs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hi,
>   while here is the discussion about 3G modems and whether they should use one or another
> driver and that usbserial should be avoided, I just bought Huawei E372 but it is using on
> 3.4-rc7 I see it uses:
>
> cdc_wdm
> usbserial_generic
> option

It should not use usbserial_generic, but it should use the qmi_wwan
driver in addition to cdc_wdm and option.  Did you build that? It's new
in 3.4 so you may need to enable it if you are reusing an old config.
You'll find it under

Device Drivers
  Network device support
    USB Network Adapters
      Multi-purpose USB Networking Framework
        QMI WWAN driver for Qualcomm MSM based 3G and LTE modems

in menuconfig.

> I am attaching dmesg and lsusb info. Unfortunately, my Zyxel P-661HNU-F3 router is running
> 2.6.20 kernel and while it was working with Huawei E1823 it does not detect the E372. :((
> What would you recommend me to do to get it working: 1) properly under current kernels,
> 2) under the old kernel in the router?

2.6.20 is very old, but you might get it working in serial mode if you
can get an existing driver to bind.  I guess you'll need a recent
usb_modeswitch config on it in any case, to get the device to switch to
modem mode.

> Bus 002 Device 009: ID 12d1:1506 Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. E398 LTE/UMTS/GSM Modem/Networkcard

The problem is that Huawei in their wisdom didn't see any reason to use
an unique product ID for each device.  So you will see a number of
different devices using the same ID.  Hopefully they are somewhat
compatible, but we don't really know much about that...

To make these things even more complicated, there are also different
modeswitch commands which will make the device change its USB descriptor
layout.  Some of these will also change the product ID.  But it's still
not unique.

So you need to look at the label on the device to find out what it is.
lsusb cannot tell you.

Bjørn