Re: Huawei E372 12d1:1506 reports itself as E398

Martin Mokrejs <mmokrejs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I haven't managed to get the wwan0 really working yet but it seems that my
> modem crashes if I have an IP address assigned to wwan0 interface and the
> interface is UP while I want to use ppp connection. The modem connects when
> asked by pppd, receives an IP via DHCP, and connection works for about 30 sec.
> Then it probably wants to negotiate something and "crashes?" (LED goes from
> cyan to dark blue).

Interesting.  Haven't tested that.  Sounds likely that the modem
firmware is unable to handle ppp and ethernet emulation simultaneously.

> I found out if I do "ifconfig wan0 down" before starting pppd the connection
> is stable for hours. Probably the USM modem is fooled when having both interfaces
> enabled. I did not have these problems before because I did not fiddle with wwan.
> ;) Should only either one interface be exposed by modem's firmware? Should
> userspace tools treat them mutually exclusive interfaces?

Ideally the modem firmware should have handled this gracefully, but I
don't expect that to really happen...  So the userspace tools should
treat the interfaces as mutually exclusive.  I believe that is the idea
behind ModemManager grabbing *all* ports on a modem. It needs to enforce
such constraints, which may just as well affect multiple serial ports
(ever tried running ppp on more than one of the serial ports?)

Bjørn